Wednesday, December 10, 2008

"Ock...Momma...ock"

We finally have a good bedtime routine down these days! Maggie used to have to fall asleep in my arms or in my lap in our bed to fall asleep. About a month or so ago, we decided to try and put her to bed and let her fall asleep. She would eventually fall asleep...30 minutes or so later.

Tonight, however, was a different story. I gave Maggie her medicine, grabbed her "ba-ba", she gave Daddy a good night kiss, and off we went, hand in hand, to her room. She usually walks right to her crib and waits to be lifted up, gives me a kiss and lays down with her ba-ba. Not tonight. She walks into her room, takes a look at her Christmas tree with great admiration (she loves the lights) and she stands by the rocker in her room. (I've almost forgotten that it's even there...since she really hasn't had any interest in the rocking chair for months) I walk to the crib, not even realizing that she's not standing there and find her by the rocker. With the sweetest eyes, she looks up at me and says "ock...momma...ock". "Oh sweet pea, you want Momma to rock you?" "ock...momma...ock" So I scoop up my not-so-little one and I proceed to rock. She puts her ba-ba in her mouth and I begin to quietly hum. The next thing I hear is Maggie humming right along with me. She dropped her ba-ba, wrapped her hand around my finger and quickly fell asleep.

Can I tell you that I just sat there and cried? I was so overcome with emotion. I took this time with Maggie sleeping in my arms, to pray for her and over her. To ask the Lord to give me what I need to be the best momma for this sweet little girl. I was just so amazed to look down at this precious child of God, the child that God has chosen just for us, and to see how much she has grown and changed in the last 6 months and how much she has grown and changed me! I am not the same woman I was 6 months ago. I've seen my heart grow leaps and bounds beyond anything I thought imaginable, and I've seen some things in my heart that I so want to change. I want to be a better woman...a better wife...a better mother...a better friend. I want to be the best that I can be...for Maggie. She deserves so much. Before she came to us, she had so little. And in her little life, she has given so much.

It's so easy to get so busy that we don't stop and just look at the moment (especially around this time of year). I'm so glad that the Lord used my miracle baby to remind me that He is always with us and that He is waiting for us...when we're ready to be still....and just "ock".

1 Had Something To Say:

Jocelyn said...

Thank you for sharing that precious experience of your night. Nighttime can be the most wonderful time with the babies- cuddling, reading, singing sweet lullabies. Nothing like a baby to remind you how much you've grown- how much bigger your heart could get and how much more it will continue to grow as you allow God to bring new challenges, new opportunities in to your life. Right now I am longing for a cuddle from my babies on this chilly day!!