Wednesday, January 14, 2009

In the best interest of the child....

We were successful! We FINALLY found a play therapist that would see Maggie. She is the only one in all of Harris & Montgomery Counties that would even consider seeing her. We got the call yesterday and we saw her tonight.

Rebecca was very sweet with Maggie and I instantly liked her. She took great interest not only in Maggie and observing her, but she really REALLY listened to me. Sometimes, as the foster/adoptive parent, we're not heard. Our opinions don't matter. Our feelings aren't taken into consideration. Our observations aren't considered....even though we are the ones who are caring for these children 24/7, and everyone else observes for 1 hour a month. I was listened to tonight.

Rebecca started off saying that in all her years of counseling, she has never seen a 2 year old. She said there honestly isn't a lot that can be done with someone of Maggie's age, and even more so, with her development. For example: Maggie has a limited vocabulary. Sure she can communicate in a lot of ways, but she can't speak in complete sentences (which is what most therapists require...and understandably so). But she knew that CPS needed Maggie to see a therapist and she wasn't going to say no. So, I asked her if CPS gave her any information on Maggie's case and she gave that smile and the look...that look that I know all too well...I've given it quite a few times myself. No...no info. So, she asked me why CPS wanted Maggie to be in play therapy. I explained to her that it started off with the fact that Maggie had such strong reactions after visits with her birth mother, that indicated that there was great trauma in her short life. Rebecca said - well, if her birth mother's rights are set to be terminated in March, why does the birth mom still have visits? Good question! I told her that everyone was in agreement that the visits should be suspended but the judge said that a therapist needed to say that it was in the best interest of the child to have visits suspended. Rebecca looked at me and said, "Well, there won't be any more visits. From what you've told me, it is most definitely not in the best interest for Maggie to have a visit with her birth mom." End of story.

Praise Jesus! Seriously, I almost fell out of seat and almost started crying (but I composed myself). Michael & I prayed before we left that God would just allow the truth to be seen and accepted by Rebecca...and He did just that! It was that simple. Rebecca said that she takes what a foster/adoptive parent says with great consideration and she felt that everything that I shared about Maggie's case and her birth mother's situation, deemed that visits cease.

She went as far as to say that should a visit be scheduled before her report gets filed, to call her on her personal cell phone and she will make sure that the visit doesn't take place.

I can't begin to tell you the relief that came from this session. It is comforting to know that my sweet daughter will not have to endure any more traumatic visits and the aftermath of them. It is absolutely heartbreaking to try and comfort my baby from the trauma of her past, after a visit with the abuser. It is so wrong on so many levels.

I can rest tonight knowing that my baby is sleeping soundly in her crib ~ safe, secure, happy and loved...and that is what is in the best interest of MY child.


5 Had Something To Say:

Carissa said...

What an answer to prayer! I'm so happy for you & Maggie!!

Kelly said...

i have nothing to say but -- PRAISE GOD!! so relieved for your little family and so thankful for that therapist!

Jess Richey said...

What a wonderful answer to prayer!

Jocelyn said...

oh, i am so glad to hear this amazing answer to prayer! God sent you to the absolute perfect person! what a wonderful reminder that He is in control!

Erica said...

PRAISE JESUS! He is so good and so faithful. What a blessing to cross paths with Rebecca! I can't get a smile off my face - God is good, my friend! What an amazing answer to prayer.