Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Big girl bed update

Well, I know you're all dying to know how the first night went in the big girl bed. Hmmm....well, I guess I should've just saved the money and thrown a pallet on the floor, because Maggie seemed to prefer that to the bed. While she was more than excited to have her new bed before bedtime, that same feeling did not transfer over to when it was actually time to go "night-night". She cried a little but got quiet pretty quickly. I was hopeful.

About an hour passed and I went to check in on her. I opened the door ever so quietly and slowly...peeking in...ummm...where is she? In the bed? nope. On the floor near the bed? nope. On the side of the bed? nope. My heart raced for a bit and then as I opened the door more, it hit me. ~ actually I hit her. Poor baby was fast asleep on the floor, up against the door. I quickly swooped her up and got her back into the bed without waking her up :)

Fast forward 5 hours to 2am.....monitor alerts us to a VERY LOUD NOISY catapillar bug toy that my sweet daughter has apparently decided to play with in the midst of her insomnia. Immediately I thought...ugh! I forgot to put that in closet before bedtime! (wasn't an issue before). So, I waited and she played and played and played. I opened the door and she was just sitting there playing. I got her another bottle and brought her back into the bed. She didn't want to stay there, so I thought, well, I'll just get in and stay with her until she falls asleep (knowing full well that she's exhausted). One hour later, she finally is fast asleep. (I wish someone could see me trying to do this) I ever so slowly begin to move my body out of her bed. Trying ever so gently to move without making a noise. Why is it when you're trying to be the most quiet that you seem to make the most noise? I roll myself out of the bed (not so gracefully) and she immediately wakes up. I tell her to go night-night and I close the door. A few cries were heard and then a thump. Yep, back on the floor again.

6am...check on her before I go to work. Same position as the first time I checked on her. Repeat steps that I did around 11pm.

Poor thing. I'm sure she is somewhat traumatized. She doesn't know what to think. She felt safe and secure in her crib. I think she almost has too much freedom, too many distractions, too many options, but she knew that if she slept by the door, Momma or Daddy would be there. As I think about it this morning, it reminds me of how we are with our Heavenly Father. Sometimes we have a lot going on; we have too many things crowding our lives/thoughts; too many options thrown at us; we just don't know what to do. So we go where we know we can be found and wait to be picked up and carried. Isn't it neat to have the love and assurance from our Heavenly Father?

Maybe tonight will be a better night for my sweet girl. But if it's not, that's ok. I'll just swoop her up and do it all over again.


1 Had Something To Say:

Jocelyn said...

What a wonderful connection made, Court! And, she'll get used to it... all that freedom, all those temptations to roam and play. What a big girl to be in a big-girl bed... how fast they grow up! Congrats on getting through your first night!