Thursday, April 01, 2010

Pull up!

As you might recall, we attempted potty training a few months back. It didn't go too well. Despite the fact that most people think that a 3 year old should be well versed in potty training by this point, Maggie just wasn't ready. So, we didn't push. We just figured that she'd eventually be ready and she'd let us know when she was.

She is always willing to use the potty, if you ask her, and she always goes. She just wasn't able to tell us when she needed to go (a pretty important part!) and for some reason, just didn't want to let go of the diapers. I guess it was a safety for her. She knew that when you wear big girl panties, you have to use the potty all the time. She knew that you only went pee pee either in the potty or in a diaper.

In the past few weeks, she's been getting really agitated with her diapers. I knew that this was a good sign. Every time she was wet, she wanted to be changed right away. She was tugging and pulling with her diaper all the time. I knew it was just a matter of time. We were telling her that if she went pee pee on the potty, she wouldn't have to feel the wetness and her panties would always be dry. She seemed to like the idea.

When I got home from work on Monday, she was messing with the diaper again and I just said, if you want, you can try a pull-up and start using the potty like a big girl and then you don't have to mess with a diaper. She said "OK!" I've never moved faster...wanted to get that pull up on her before she could change her mind. We put the pullup on, left the pants off and she just went along her way. About 30 minutes later, Maggie came running in...Momma, gotta go potty....gotta go potty. So we rushed there, and she went. She continued to do this the rest of the night - no accidents! Yay :) Our caseworkers came over that night to sign the adoption placement papers, and she was running around in a tshirt and pull-up. They were really happy for her and helped join in the celebration each time she went! She certainly like the fan-fare!

Tuesday - she stays home with Michael on these days and he hoped that the excitement would continue. However, he was quickly dismissed when she said "No, Daddy. No pull-up. Momma's not here" Great! So, we've tackled it to a point but only if I'm there. He asked her through out the day, getting the same response. So, I figured as soon as I got home, I would try. Sure enough, she was willing to put on the pull-up and was successful all night.

The real test was the following morning (Wednesday) when she was to go to school. She woke up extra early for some reason and was in a great (hyper!) mood. I went in to get her and she said, "Mornin' Momma. Put pull up on?!" Sure thing sweetpea! So, we put the pullup on and got ready for the day. We talked about it all the way to school, and when we got to school, she went to the teachers and told them that she was wearing a pullup and was going to go pee pee on the potty. I was so proud. I brought lots of pull ups and 3 extra pair of pants (just trying to be cautious). I was anxious to see what she would look like when I went to pick her up and much to my surprise, she was still in the same outfit! Great success! Now, she was in a diaper at that point, but I honestly think it was because the afternoon extended care teachers didn't realize that she had moved over to pull ups. When I picked her up, she asked me to change her back into a pullup, which we did. We even hit the grocery store without accident.

So, I'm hopeful that we're making progress and moving towards no more diapers in the Thompson house (sure will be nice on the budget too!). Here's to another successful day for my sweet girl!


0 Had Something To Say: