Thursday, January 14, 2010

I Can Only Imagine....

My very first friend was Patrick. We met while we were still in our mothers' womb. Our moms were best friends so it was destined for us to be the same. He was born 6 weeks before me, so of course, he always said I had to respect him as my elder. We grew up together, and we were instant friends but more like brother and sister. Patrick had one brother. He never had a sister, so I guess I took that honor.

When we were 10, tragedy struck his life. Their house was sprayed for termites and their house had to be condemned due to the levels of Chlordane poisoning. They walked out one night thinking they all had food poisoning and they never returned. Not too much later we were given the horrible news....Patrick has cancer.

Patrick's cancer was very rare and there was little that could be done. They told his parents not to expect him to live to see 12, if they were lucky. 12th birthday came...16th birthday came...21st birthday came. 30th birthday came. 33th birthday came.

At the age of 33, Patrick conquered his 23 year footrace with cancer, through his faith in Christ. He packed a full life into 33 years. He was a father, brother, son, husband. He was an athlete, entrepreneur, an artist, a sculptor, a teacher, a camp counselor, an inspirational speaker and of course, a friend. But of all of these, Patrick was, by the grace of God, a follower of Christ. Patrick had cancer for 23 years, but he did not let that define or limit him. He played with pain. Few have run the track Patrick ran, and fewer still ran it with his persistence. As he ran, Patrick's goal was that his pain and struggles would help someone else with their pain and struggles.

Throughout his race, he never quit, and he never blamed God for his path. His constant message was "Hold on, hope in the Lord and make a difference for God."

Patrick went home to be with Jesus 3 1/2 years ago. It was one of the saddest and yet most joyous days I've ever experience. I have never grieved or rejoiced so deeply before or since. Oh how I longed to see my friend but oh how happy I was to know that he was running freely and without pain into the loving arms of Jesus.

So today, on what would have been his 37th birthday, he's celebrating with Jesus in heaven. What a party that must be...Oh I can only imagine.......I can only imagine.


1 Had Something To Say:

Jocelyn said...

what an amazing tribute, court.