Thursday, July 30, 2009

Dear Pediatrician - my true thoughts

Dear Pediatrician,

I did what every parent would do when their child wakes up sick. I called your office and made an appointment. We didn't have to wait too long before being put into a room and your nurse was so very nice. You could tell that she really loves kids, as she was more than sweet to my daughter.

We waited in the room for about 15 minutes, which of course, feels like an eternity with a high energy sick 2 1/2 year old. You entered the room and completely ignored me. You didn't acknowledge me at all. You just picked up the chart, starting writing something, sat in your chair and proceeded to listen to my daughter's chest with your stethoscope. Those stethoscopes sure are fun to little kiddos, as you witnessed when my daughter constantly reached for it and touched it. Did you not know that? Is this something new to you? I wondered if that was the case, since you were very abrupt and almost mean to my daughter for wanting to touch it. Moving on. You go to check her ears and nose with the light scope. Fine. She's had that done many times before. Never bothered her before yesterday. I'm pretty sure it's because you didn't let her know what you were doing before hand or show her the light, like all other doctors and nurses have done in the past. Something to consider. After all of that, now you ask rather harshly for her to open her mouth and say "aaaaaahhhhh". She didn't want to. (wonder why?) So you stand up, march over to the wall and grab a tongue depressor and say, open up and say "aaahhh" or I'll have to do it the hard way (while waving the tongue depressor in front of her face). Sure, she opened up and I do believe that when she stuck her tongue out at you, it was not because she was trying to be agreeable :)

You continued to write more in her chart. My daughter is walking around the room making noises, talking, etc. You ask me, "how old is she?" I said: "2 1/2" I'm thinking....all you have to do is look at her chart. I could also tell that something else was about to happen. You proceeded to ask me the following questions: "Why isn't she talking more?" "Have you had her evaluated for her delays?" "Doesn't she know how to stay quiet in a public place?" "Do you read to her? If you do, then you're not reading enough." Before I could pick up my jaw and respond, my daughter reaches for her bottle that is my purse. Oh great...here we go. You went on to say, "She is 2 1/2 years old and she is still on a bottle? She is way too old to be on a bottle". I'm still in shock and trying to compose myself and not scream at you...when you tell me that my daughter is behind on her shots. You asked me why I've allowed that to happen and why don't I care enough to have her vaccinated? With my blood now boiling, I explained to you that the last visit we had, the PA told me that my daughter was finally up to date on shots. And we rejoiced. Now you're telling me that she still has 3 shots left? I was told that these were optional. You interrupted me and said, I don't know why you think that, I am the doctor. She has 3 shots left. (side note to those reading this, while your child is in foster care, if the doctor recommends/dictates something, you don't have the authority to refuse). Fine. Give her the shots. She already feels crappy anyway - why don't we just add more to the day.

Ok...that's it...listen here lady. I understand that you are the doctor. That's why I am here. If I could write the prescription myself or go to another doctor, I would. However, I am not a doctor. I am a momma. I am here to protect my child. So, I come to you for help. I am fully aware of the fact that my daughter does not have the vocabulary that some other 2 1/2 year olds do. I also know that she is very active and makes a lot of noise. And yes, I do read to her everyday and she loves it. I believe that I am doing everything in my power to expand her vocabulary and enhance her skills. I also understand that most 2 1/2 year olds aren't on the bottle anymore. She wouldn't normally have the bottle with her in the middle of the day, but if you recall, she is sick. She didn't want to drink anything unless it was in the bottle. I figured that getting liquids in was more important than the container they were in. So I gave her the bottle...and you know what, I hesitated to even bring it in your office today because I knew that you would make a comment about it. But, I was looking out for my daughter's best interest...and at that particular moment, drinking from the bottle was more vital than the anger in hearing what you were going to say.

I am fully aware of all these things, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I worry about these things more deeply than you can even imagine. I don't like to bring up my child's history in front of everyone, especially her, because she doesn't need to feel different and I fear that she will start to understand some of the negativity that comes from these conversations. Next time, think before you speak. And whatever negative thoughts you have, keep them to yourself. You can't possibly have anything to say that we haven't already said to ourselves.If I could hide my daughter's history of abuse and neglect in the first 17 months of her little life, I would do it in a heartbeat. But that's not reality. Reality is this: my daughter lived in 40 different places before she turned 17 months. For most of that time, she was left alone to lay in a crib with a bottle for 18+ hours a day. Never to be held. Never to be changed or fed. Never to be hugged or loved on. So you see, for the last year, my husband and I have done everything that we can to ensure that our daughter is loved and cared for. And if that means that she still takes a bottle, isn't potty trained, delayed in her vocabulary, high spirited in nature, too loud for most people's liking at the age of 2 1/2 but feels loved, secure and safe with her momma and daddy, then I think we've done our job.

After all, I'm just a momma lovin' on her sweet girl....

3 Had Something To Say:

Me! said...

I'm so sorry your baby is sick, being sick is no fun, especially at an age where your job is supposed to be having fun! Just reading your posts, I'm amazed at how far your little one has come in the past year, maybe the doctor needs a little perspective?

I'm sorry you had a bad doctor visit, nothing stinks more than a doctor with poor bedside manors! Is there anyway that you can change doctors, is that possible? Have you ever had these issues with this doctor before?

I hope she feels better soon!!!

Jocelyn said...

OH, I hope that felt good to get that out. I am SO sorry you had that experience. What on earth...
ERRRGGGG.
It's interesting- I thought that Maggie's vocabulary was really good- I remember listening to her identify herself as "Maggie" (I guess that's more cognitive than language, but whatever) and thinking "I wonder when that kicks in- seeing themselves as an individual person and knowing how to identify themselves"- Sariyah's not there yet, and it was something I thought was really cute that Maggie did- refer to herself as "Maggie".

AND... her background doesn't really even matter... WHY on earth would a doctor approach a mother about possible delays in that manner?!?!? ERRRRRGGGG... has the doctor really never dealt with parents and children with delays... you don't make the PARENT feel like they've done something wrong- approach it with some grace and compassion for pete's sake!

Is your doctor one that you just make an appointment with a clinic and then see whatever doctor is there? That's the nice thing about my kids' doctor- it's the one doctor... and she knows my kids- their backgrounds, that they change every couple of months, she always asks how I'M doing caring for all these kids, and thinks my kids are (and I quote) miracles from God. Unfortunately she's way down here by me- probably will need to find a new one when we move. PLUS... I'm not sure how great of a DOCTOR she is (by some decisions when Tiger was in the hospital) BUT... she's really nice and sweet and for little things like colds and immunizations she works! :)

I'm just... I'm just enraged for you right now. Court- you are doing a FINE job... do NOT let anyone make you question that for a SECOND... those that would judge are NOT the ones with Maggie in their home... and have never had (or probably ever WILL have) a child as unique and special as she is. Let NO one judge who hasn't been there. What you are doing with Maggie is SO far beyond anything most people you will encounter could even imagine.

Our society is SO backwards (and I get SO frustrated by it almost everyday either through work or with my own kids) in their care for the "least of these" and without people like you (and me) the "least of these" would fall by the wayside (just a little pride-booster for both of us there). They often get the worst care, the most impatient people to deal with, they are assigned the overworked and underpaid people to manage their care and advocacy... and if it weren't for those that will step up and say "this is not ok" our kids would be... oh, I don't wnat to imagine where they would be.
So... friend... keep pushing forward, demanding the best, advocating for the well-being and LOVING your daughter.
And... keep doing what you need to to GET IT OUT.

And... sorry Maggie is sick. If it's cold virus symptoms... I can probably guess whehre she got it (since it's like SnotFest'09 over here!!!). [sorry] :)

Jenny said...

Oh Court, my heart just aches for you! I can't even IMAGINE going through that...what an idiot. I'm sorry, but seriously! Hearing about Maggie's past just made me cry, for her and for you guys. Love ya and wish this letter really could get to your pediatrician--or into a handbook for doctors! Jen