Saturday, June 05, 2010

Saturday Events

Before I became a momma, I spent ALOT of time with 3 of my nieces. They lived just down the street, so it was easy for me to pop in, pick one or two or three of them to go and do something and I was usually the one called on to babysit. However, over the past year and a half, I've had my own little one to spend time with and those 3 other little ones didn't see as much of me as they were used to. In all honesty though, the older they get, the busier their little lives have become and it was hard to get in on "their schedules".

I have always taken them out on their birthdays. That's something that I want to continue doing - no matter what.

So, today, I took Gabriela out for her 8th birthday. Although it's a little early, it was the only Saturday that we could make it work between mine and her family's schedule. Oh I must digress to say, I seriously cannot believe that Gabriela will be 8 years old. I remember the first time I held her on her birth day and now - wow...how quickly they grow up!

I picked her up at noon and found her all dressed up and ready to go. She was so excited. "Oh, CC - it's just you and me!" The other two weren't too happy but I reminded them that they would be having their special lunch with me in about a month, when they celebrated their 6th birthdays.

As I sat there visiting with the twins and my sister, Ashley, Gabriela proceeded to tell me what was going to take place.

I had asked her where she wanted to go - she could pick anywhere - she chose Olive Garden.

And then she said: "Ok, CC. You like Fettuccine Alfredo, right? (yes I do, Gabriela). Ok, good. We'll go ahead and order the Fettuccine Alfredo and just split it, because you get a lot and we can just share. Then I'll order a coke, because I'm allowed to have one and you can get your diet coke. When the salad comes, I'll take a little bit. I don't like the olives and I usually only eat a few of the toasted bread (crutons) and I'll have a half of a breadstick with my salad. You'll need to order a side of the fettuccine alfredo sauce so that I can dip my bread sticks in there. You'll love it. Trust me. Then when the meal comes, I'll have one whole bread stick. And then, when we're done with that, I will get the Black Tie Mousse Cake and have them sing Happy Birthday to me. But, CC, you'll need to tell them it's my birthday. It's rude for me to tell them. Ok. Let's go." And seriously, folks, that's pretty much what happened! (that girl is hilarious)

We arrived at Olive Garden and it was packed! Lots of graduation and other big parties going on I guess. Anyway, they said the wait would be about 35 minutes. Gabriela said, "well, my cut off is 45 minutes, so I guess we can wait." (seriously?!?!?) Anyway...we waited and thankfully since it was just the 2 of us, we really only waited about 20 minutes. They sat us down, and she went to work on her plan.


We finished our lunch and I told the waiter what Gabriela wanted for dessert and that it was her birthday. {She was so excited} The waiter's face turned down and said, "oh I'm so sorry but we can't sing happy birthday to you today." I thought he was kidding. He was not. "Why can't you sing happy birthday to her today?" I asked. He went on to tell us that they had so many complaints about it disturbing other people's meals that corporate made it a policy that they are not to celebrate and/or sing any birthdays anymore.

Are you kidding me?!?!? This has seriously got to be the most ridiculous corporate rule I've ever heard. He felt really bad, apologized profusely and then Gabriela said - "Well, just tell the Corporate that this was the only reason I came here today."

I'm guessing she thought they were the only restaurant to do something like this, but in any event, she was really disappointed. So, when the cake arrived, I sang to her softly and everyone around us had a smile on their face. :) She thanked me for singing and we shared that delicious piece of cake.


We had a wonderful lunch together ~ just laughing, talking, sharing. I sure do love my sweet Gabriela :)

Afterwards, I went to get my haircut. I have been needing to get it cut, but honestly, didn't want to go back to the same lady I've been going to for quite a while. So I went to my sister's sylist and I absolutely loved what she did to my hair. It's similiar to how I had it cut at our wedding, and I've not been able to get anyone to cut it like that since.  Here are 2 pictures that I was able to take with my camera phone - they aren't great...but hey - it's something.  I couldn't get one of the back but it's really cute, layered and flippy.


I then proceeded to go to HEB for my weekly grocery shopping, only to find out that they have completely changed the location of the products in the main aisles and I spent almost an hour and half just trying to find what I needed.  Ugh - I sure do hate when they do that. Of course, I think it's just another way for them to make more money.....

With that, my friends, I'm off to watch a little TV on the DVR and hopefully get a good night's sleep.  Happy Weekend everybody!



1 Had Something To Say:

Anonymous said...

gabriela is just too much! so glad you got some time with her... she is a hoot! i am still just stunned by olive garden's new policy... what is wrong with people. and... cuuuuuute hair!!