Monday, February 09, 2009

Mediation

Mediation has been scheduled for Maggie's case on Wednesday, March 4th @ 1:30pm. I found out today that less than 2% of cases go to mediation. I thought...well, is this good or bad? Patti (our CASA advocate) said that it was good because it meant that everyone on board is trying to push for the birth mom to sign her rights away on that day, and avoid going to court. I don't want to get my hopes up that she will 1) show up or 2) actually sign over her rights. I just don't see that happening, since she still believes that she should get her child back. (she's the only one who feels that way).

Then I get an email from Maggie's CPS caseworker stating that it should be a "very interesting mediation". Ugh...what does THAT mean? Has something happened? Is there something I should know, be worried about, be concerned....I could go on and on. I was just talking to my friend Erica the other night about how CPS and other agency workers don't realize the impact of their words. They are so numb to the situations, they don't know that "very interesting" or "as soon as possible" sends our minds reeling full speed ahead.

So, I called Patti and she put my mind at ease saying that there just was a lot of information to be processed and discussed at the mediation and they have no idea of how the BM will react/respond. They are all hopeful that she will voluntarily sign her rights away and that is the goal of the mediation. It could still go to the judge, if 1) she doesn't show up, 2) she refuses to sign or 3) new information is discovered. Basically, because the case is soooo strong against the BM and everyone is for un-related adoption, they try to settle the case to avoid wasting the judge and court's time.

All this to say, that there is plenty going on and lots we could worry ourselves over...but we remain confident in the Lord's provision and protection over us, and especially Maggie. Would you just pray for us, that we will remain calm over the next few weeks and not allow any lies, fears, thoughts or worries to overwhelm us? Pray that we will remain on our knees before the Lord, offering up ourselves and Maggie to His will and trust in Him at all times.

We love Maggie Joy. We know that God has blessed us with the most amazing daughter. So during these days, we will focus on her. Protect her. Provide for her. Keep her safe. Help her laugh. Play outside. Share cookies. Snuggle before bed time. Teach her. Pray for her. Love her.


1 Had Something To Say:

Jocelyn said...

Oh I know, oh I know. I think that mediation is a good thing- it sounds like Riyah's will be a good thing. And it sounds like you have so many people on your side and really looking out for Maggie. But I know from experience that things can go so very different than what you thought was planned.
It is so easy to want to rationalize things, read in to things. But with this system it seems like you can't! Things that seem so cut and dry and rational to me become gray and irrational in this system. We are in a world that we were not raised in, that we can't understand because of the life we were given and brought up in and that can make it oh so frustrating. Like, isn't it just cut and dry and a "no duh" that it would be better for a child to be raised in a stable home versus a homeless shelter- seems like a "no duh" to me, but when it comes to the court and parental rights... I guess that's a good thing sometimes that parental rights aren't taken lightly, but in other cases, it just seems to drag out for so long.

Anyways- just some of my thoughts again.
I'm thinking of you guys. Just keep loving that baby like you've been doing. We are praying for you.