Thursday, August 27, 2009

First negative response

Today was "Meet the Teacher Day" @ Maggie's MDO. We have been talking up "school", "friends", "backpack" - you name it, we've been talking about it.

Maggie was the 1st one in her class today. She met Miss Toscha and Miss Vicki but was WAY more interested in the playdoh, colors, paints, kitchen, dolls, cars, balls (um...you get the picture!) For a girl who is overly active and into everything, she sure had alot to get into! Her teachers seemed very nice and excited about the new school year.

A few other kids came in and Maggie ignored them, until of course, they started touching something she might be interested in later on. Ha! Being the only child means that you haven't really had to learn to share. Oh, I don't think that will be a problem anymore. There are 8 boys and 5 girls in her class and the boys will definitely put her in her place, which is a good thing. She went to take a little car from one of the boys and he said, "that's mine". To which, she replied, "mine" and he said "it's mine, get another one" to which she did...there you have it :)

About 15 minutes later, the parents left the room to go to the auditorium for a group meeting (go over the rules, expectations, etc). I walked out, didn't look back but didn't hear any crying either....good sign!

As I was walking out, a few of the moms were talking and it was apparent that they all knew each other already. From what I gathered, they all went to church there, as well as their kids had been in MDO together too. So, one of the moms asked me if this was Maggie's 1st time to MDO. I said yes, it's her first time anywhere. She said "REALLY!?" She was completely shocked...which I found interesting, I mean, she is only 2 1/2 years old. Anyway....The mom then asked, "WHY?" I said, "well she was adopted..." and she interrupted me by saying, "oh really? from where?" (I'm guessing she was assuming international adoption, etc) So, I responded "through the foster care system". To which she said "ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh" and proceeded to just walk off. Yep, that's right....just walked right off. I was speechless ~ of course, there was no one around to say anything to after that anyway :)

The emotions that flooded through me were so overwhelming. Anger. Frustration. Disappointment. Sadness. I mean, how can anyone be like that? We're talking about a young child here! I wanted to run up to that young mom and take her down (and let me tell ya - it wouldn't have been too hard either! :) and say - listen here, chica...do you want to know my daughter's story? Do you want to know how she came to be placed in our care? Do you want to hear the horror stories of abuse and neglect that she and thousands of other kiddos have experienced? No, I wouldn't think so. You are so closed minded in your own little world, with your own perfect kids, and perfect life, that you can't seem to be open enough to even accept a small innocent, beautiful little girl that will be playing with your daughter 2 days a week. Yes, that's right...my daughter, the one adopted through the foster care system, will be playing with your cute little one every Tuesday and Thursday...and I, for one, can't wait to see what an impact my Maggie will have on your little girl.

***Oh...and after the parent meeting was over, I went back to get Maggie, where she was playing so nicely at the playdoh table. I stood at the door and marveled in the goodness of the Lord and how wonderful it was to see her sitting there with the other kiddos. The teacher said, "Maggie - look who's here" Maggie looked up, smiled really big and said "Hi Momma" and then didn't want to leave. They told her she could come back on Tuesday and she said "ok", picked up her folder, waved to the class, grabbed my hand and skipped out. In the car, she kept saying "Tuesday, Tuesday, come back Momma".

Now, that's what I call a positive end to an "ooooooohhhhhhhh" response!


3 Had Something To Say:

Jenny said...

Oh Court, I'm so glad it was a positive experience for Maggie! I still just cannot believe that someone would do that and I just hate it for you. I hate it for her b/c she will miss out on so many blessings from such ignorance. Grrrrrrrr. Love ya, Jen

Jocelyn said...

I am so sorry that you had a negative response... that sucks... but not worth your energy. Ignorance is ignorance, rudeness is rudeness. YOU know who YOU are, YOU know who MAGGIE is. I feel sorry for that woman... maybe one day she will understand and see the amazing way that God can use Christian families to answer and OBEY His command. Errrrggg...

BUT... I am SO thrilled that the first day of MDO was amazing for Maggie. I am SO glad that there was no tears, no meltdown... that you were able to see that she WILL be just fine and that this WILL be an absolutely positive experience for her. How wonderful!!

Me! said...

I am so super excited that Maggie enjoyed her time at MDO. That is a huge step! Hurray for no meltdowns!

I'm sorry that it wasn't as- positive for you. Unfortunately, the average person walking around the street like you said really has no idea about what the foster children go through, and the steps it takes to get them to where they are. I hope things get better!