Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Visits

***UPDATE***
6/11/09 Saw Maggie's surgeon today. Right ear tube is already on it's way out. Left ear tube is still securely in place. No issues as long as there are no infections. Ears look great! Sleep study ordered but will take 2 -3 months to get scheduled. Oh, and they weighed/measured her and she is 26.5 pounds and 34.5 inches tall. Guess that's the difference between digital (TCH) and manual (dr) equipment!

Original post to follow....

I just realized that I didn't comment on some of Maggie's appointments that I told you all about. Forgive me! Life has been a little hectic these days.

Psychological Evaluation: The 2 child psychologists were very nice and easy to work with. They asked me a lot of questions about Maggie's behaviors, abilities, development, skills, etc. They played some games with her, asked her some simple questions and she did great! At one point, the psychologist gave Maggie a game and then quickly took it away from her. I was thinking "great...way to go lady...don't you realize what you just did?!?!?" Sure enough, she knew what she was doing. Her goal was to get Maggie to throw a temper tantrum...and throw one she did! Good grief. The psychologist said that she was acting "normal" and that I was handling it great. Of course, I thought to myself..."well, sure I am...you're here!" She told me that she passed the psychological exam with her temper tantrum. That in all reality, they are very concerned when 2 year olds don't respond in the way that Maggie did. Oh wow. Good to know. So I guess the next time she does this in public, I should just let those that are staring know that the psychologist said she's perfectly normal and just let her be. Yeah. Sure. That will go over real well.

In the end, Maggie is right on schedule developmentally, and actually a bit advanced in a few areas. Her most advanced skill? Activity level. REALLY?! Shocking! (ha!)

They said that they were surprised at how well she has developed, given her history but we know that it's the goodness of the Lord and in His protection over Maggie through her short little life.

Monday had us in the doctor's office for an exam and more shots. We are FINALLY up to date on all shots. Poor baby. She had to endure 2 years of shots in about a 10 month period. No more shots until she turns 4. Yippee! Maggie is now 2 1/2 and weighs 29 pounds (I seriously thought she weighed more than that...oh my aching back!) and is 35 1/2 inches tall. She's in the 50th percentile for her age, so we're glad she's "normal" :)

Tomorrow we are back at Texas Children's for her follow up on her surgery and hopefully to get her referral for the sleep study. She had a sleep study done when she was about 16 months old (before us), then had the surgery, so she needs another one to see if the surgery fixed everything. I really doubt that it did. Figured we should try and get this all taken care of before her benefits run out and everything is paid for in full!

We NEED to finish up our subsidy paperwork! Still working through it.

Next Tuesday is another home visit day from CPS & H4G. We truly are thankful to have such diligent case workers who visit us every month and keep us updated quite frequently on the "in's and out's" of the case.

As for the baba fiasco, I mean, transition....it has NOT been easy or pleasant. It has been quite the struggle. Each day brings something new. Sometimes Maggie wants a particular cup. Sometimes she just wants the top of the cup to suck on. Sometimes she wants nothing. There are always tears. It is hard...but I know we'll get through it.


3 Had Something To Say:

Me! said...

I'm glad to hear that she's doing well (health wise) and that she passed her psychological exam with flying colors! Wonderful news!!!

Kelly said...

wow! it sounds like she is doing really great... well, except for that darn baba issue... this too shall pass!! (right, says the one with no child... huh? ha)

Jocelyn said...

So glad to hear she's doing well. I completely lost it in laughter when you said what you will say to staring people when she has a tantrum out in public. Seriously... have these people never SEEN a toddler before. I TRY and remind myself when Sariyah loses it on me over something that I would MUCH rather have a toddler that is independent, self-assured, testing boundaries, etc than one that just sits there clinging to me, scared to share their opinion or try new things... but... sometimes... I just wish the acts of independent boundary-tester didn't have to be so LOUD! :)

You both have obviously done an INCREDIBLE job giving her the security and freedom she needs to express herself in a completely 'normal' and developmentally appropriate way. She could have been a very different child had it not been for your love and security... you know?
SO glad she's doing well. And the baba... hang in there friend!