Thursday, October 02, 2008

Whatever happened to time?

I used to have time...time to do "this", time to do "that"...but not anymore! Not only because we have a 20 month old but because we have a 20 month old through the foster care system. It amazes me how the state expects us to do all that they require us to do, in the time frame that they offer and still manage to even take care of ourselves, let alone our children.

We have been "randomly" selected (Michael & I just laugh at that notion!) by the Texas Department of Family & Social Services, Child Care Licensing Division to have our foster/adopt home inspected/investigated. Surprisingly, they do give you the time and date, but they don't give you much of a notice. Our inspection is scheduled for Monday morning.

Due to the fact that our journey took longer than we thought it would, most of our classes/certifications have expired. This wouldn't be too big of a deal, except for the fact that these are part of the inspection...verification of up-to-date certifications/credit hours of training. GREAT! We were actually scheduled to take 2 classes the last week of September, but we all know what happened instead....Hurricane Ike. Those classes have been rescheduled for the end of October, which of course, is after our inspection.

I have been hurrying around trying to find creative alternatives to our classes, including calling all the other agencies in the area, to see if they might be offering the class, and if it would be "comparable" to what our agency requires. Our agency has been more than willing to work with us, as the inspection also affects them and their ratings. But alas, the calls were not returned and/or agencies not offering the classes in the time frame we needed. However, our caseworker is actually certified to teach one of the classes, so she will be coming over tomorrow to teach it to us in our home. Personally, it works out better for us :) DONE!

Then we realized that our CPR has expired and that's a BIG thing...found someone who can come out on Saturday morning to re-certify us in our home. DONE!

Oh yeah, and then the dog has to be up to date on his vaccinations...good thing we already had an appointment scheduled for Saturday morning....or did we? Apparently not, according to the office today, when I confirmed. And of course, they are completely booked up Saturday and Sunday. But wait, I can drop him off tomorrow at 7am and pick him up after 5pm. DONE!

The only thing that I can say "Thanks, Ike" to is the fact that I had to clean out everything in the refrigerator and restock...as this is also something that they inspect. DONE!

Oh and did I mention, that in the midst of all this, I'm a momma to a 20 month old who returned back to work full time this past week? :)

2 Had Something To Say:

Jenny said...

Oh Court--you have got to be kidding me?!?!?!? Thank the Lord that He created you to be such a together person, because I don't know who else could have handled all that you guys have been required to do! Certainly not me! I would be running around like a chicken with my head cut off. Anyway, I hope you all are doing okay with you going back to work--I know that must be a hard transition in the midst of all tha is going on. Well, love you and praying for you and thankful for the update! Jenny

Jocelyn said...

I know it can sound scary having lisencing come out... I've been there. Unfortunately, they are all so subjective from person to person. Mine was about 15 mins long and all he did was look in the kids' room and check my certificates, vacinations for the cats-- all my ppwk stuff. I'll tell you what I'm going to do for you- tonight I'm going to type up and email you the actual form that is used in the state of Texas used by lisencing- DePelchin gave me a copy before lisencing came out. The bottom line is that unless something is REALLY wrong with your home, training, etc. you will just be "cited" and have a timeline to fix the problem. But, man it is quite nerve-racking! Breathe girlie!! After this you shouldn't see them for 3 years! :)