Sunday, August 15, 2010

Day with Nana & Dandy

My mom and dad (aka Nana & Dandy) have always been very involved with the grandkids and love to spend time with them ~ special one on one time with each one (there are 7 kiddos between all of us), going to all their plays/musicals/sporting events, having craft parties, etc. I've always loved that about my parents. We had that when we were growing up with my dad's parents, and we are all still very close to my Mamaw & Grandad. I was always hopeful that my children would have that same type of relationship with my parents.

Nana & Dandy have been wanting to have Maggie over for quite some time, but Maggie's been slow to go places without us. Actually, the only time she's been away from one of us has been at school or church nursery. So, I decided to just bite the bullet, asked Mom & Dad about a good day to have Maggie come over and see how it goes. We talked it up quite a bit ~ she doesn't deal well with surprises. She loves her Nana & Dandy but again, is somewhat reluctant to just go off with them, or anyone else.

So, Saturday morning, I drove Maggie over to my parents house and she just couldn't wait to get there. Mom has PLENTY of things to keep all of the kids occupied and Maggie went straight for the toy cabinet. We chatted a few minutes and then I left, without any incident. Maggie was already working on her 3rd or 4th activity by that time.

Mom said that they'd see us about 5pm and to enjoy the day. What?! 7 whole hours by ourselves?! We honestly haven't had that in 2 years. We've not been able to spend any large amount of time together, just as a couple, since we brought Maggie home (unless it happened to be a school day or something small like that). This momma and daddy weren't even sure what we were going to do with ourselves, but we quickly developed a game plan. We had a nice quiet lunch together, actually had good conversation without constant interruption, and enjoyed a movie (again, uninterrupted!). We just enjoyed spending time together and enjoying each other's company. We were rejuvenated and ready to see our sweet girl that evening.

When I went to pick Maggie up, I was anxious to hear how she did. I was good and didn't call to check up on her. I figured if something went horribly wrong, they would've called. They said she did great, kept them busy (understatement of the year), she didn't take a nap, but they had lots of fun. She came home dressed in a ballerina leotard and tutu with a princess crown and wand. Oh I knew she had a wonderful time.

Dad sent me pictures of their time together and I just had to laugh. I'm pretty sure that she kept them on their toes because of all the different activies she participated in...her attention is captured for about 3 minutes and then she's done. I saw pictures of dancing, cheerleading, painting, playing games, putting together puzzles, drawing, washing dishes, watering flowers, playing outside, playing with baby dolls, putting on funny masks and hats, playing dress up....just to name a few :)

 









She was so happy when she came home. She couldn't stop talking about everything she did with Nana & Dandy...that is, until she fell fast asleep in the car about 2 minutes into the ride home.

As much as she needed a nap, I'm fairly certain that Nana & Dandy needed one even more.

I'm so glad that Maggie was able to spend the day with her Nana & Dandy.....grandparents who love her completely and fully and want to know her so intimately. We are so blessed to have my parents in the same town and to be able to share our lives with each other.

Can't wait for the next Nana & Dandy day....although I think my folks are still recouperating :)



1 Had Something To Say:

Kelly said...

oh my goodness, I can't believe all the activities she got through in one little day! What fun! :)