Thursday, April 23, 2009

2 visits today

This morning was full of visits ~ first from our agency caseworker and then our CPS caseworker. We're one of the few that actually see both caseworkers every month! This is rare! I know some people who never even meet their CPS caseworker. The visits are short and most of the time, we just chat about life, but it's wonderful to have great relationships with both of our caseworkers. I truly believe that it has made all the difference in how Maggie's case has been handled.

Our CPS caseworker has been fantastic. I remember being worried about him being assigned to us. I liked our first caseworker. This guy was new. He wasn't experienced. He was a he. I know...I know....I shouldn't have judged but I did. I didn't want a guy. I wanted a woman. Someone who could feel my pain, understand my emotions, and have that "only a woman/mother knows" type of heart. But in the end, I was wrong. Never before have I met someone who was so passionate about what was best for my child & our family. He fought for us every step of the way. He has been our family's advocate. He didn't have to be...but he was.

CPS is trying to finish up all the paperwork to get our case transferred to the adoption unit. We did find out today that the state does require a 3 month wait until an adoption can be finalized to allow for someone to contest the adoption. We're not worried about that. Every possible person was interviewed when we first went to court. We have no reason to doubt that this will be a possibility...and we're not going to allow that to enter our minds. It's just the way it is. It's the system. It's the law. And we understand that.

CPS did say that they hope to have everything done in the next 3 months...so hopefully we'll be able to finalize everything by the end of the summer (I'm not holding my breath for the 3 month goal!)

I don't know how the caseworkers do what they do...but I sure am thankful for them. They've made our journey that much easier...and we've made some great friends along the way!

0 Had Something To Say: